News & Events
- Eric Santner's My Own Private Germany: Daniel Paul Schrebers Secret History of Modernity (1996) to be appear in German as Gesetz und Paranoia: Freud, Schreber und die Passionen der Psychoanalyse
- Eric Santner’s The Royal Remains: The People’s Two Bodies and the Endgames of Sovereignty to be translated into Chinese by the Guagxi Normal University Press.
- Sunny Yudkoff speaks with The Yiddish Daily Forward about opportunities to study Yiddish at the University of Chicago
- David Wellbery's essay "On the Logic of Change in Goethe's Work" has been selected by the Goethe Society as the best 2014 essay on the Goethezeit by a North American scholar.
- Sunny Yudkoff appointed to the editorial board of In geveb: A Journal of Yiddish Studies.
- Christopher Wild appointed Master of the College in the Humanities Collegiate Division.
- David Levin collaborates on new dance-theater piece presented at the Bayerische Staatsoper.
- David Wellbery teaches DAAD Faculty Summer Seminar at the University of Chicago.
- David Wellbery teaches Meisterkurs in Weimar.
- Eric Santner publishes Tanner Lectures, available November 2015.
New Faculty Positions
The Department of Germanic Studies at the University of Chicago is searching for a mid-career candidate (preferably advanced assistant or associate professor) to join an internationally active program with strong ties to neighboring disciplines in humanities, arts, and social sciences. We are especially interested in candidates with demonstrated teaching and research strengths in 20th- and 21st-century literary, cultural, and media studies.
Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample to the University of Chicago's Academic Career Opportunities website for Posting Number 02755. Online applications will not be accepted after November 30, 2015. Position is contingent upon final budgetary approval.
In addition, three letters of recommendation should be sent in hardcopy to:
Prof. Eric Santner
Chair, Department of Germanic Studies
The University of Chicago
1050 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637.
- Peter Erickson (Ph.D. 2014) has been appointed Assistant Professor of German at Colorado State University.
- Stephen Haswell Todd (Ph.D. 2015) has been appointed Postdoctoral Fellow at the Hannah Arendt Center for Politics and Humanities at Bard College
- Andrea Wald (Ph.D. 2015) has been appointed program manager at at FWF (Austrian Science Fund) where she is responsible for the funding of arts-based research (PEEK).
- Marcus Lampert (Ph.D. 2015) has been appointed Humanities Teaching Scholar at the Chicago Center for Teaching.
- Joela Jacobs (Ph.D. 2014) has been appointed Assistant Professor of German Studies at the University of Arizona.
- Anthony Mahler (Ph.D. 2014) has been appointed wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter in the Deutsches Seminar of the Universität Tübingen.
- Mimmi Woisnitza (Ph.D. 2015) has been appointed wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin at the Institut für Philosophie und Kunstwissenschaft at the Leuphana University Lüneburg.
- Robert Abbott (Ph.D. 2015) has been appointed as Tutor at St. John's College, Annapolis.
- Martin Baeumel (Ph.D. 2013) has been appointed Visiting Assistant Professor of German Studies at Wesleyan University.
- Hannah Eldridge (Ph.D. 2012) has been appointed Assistant Professor of German at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Malika Mascarinec (Ph.D. 2012) has been appointed Postdoctoral Fellow in the research unit "eikones" at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
- Katharina Loew (Ph.D. 2011) has been appointed Assistant Professor of German and Cinema Studies at the University of Oregon.
- Joel Lande (Ph.D. 2010) has been appointed Assistant Professor of German at Princeton University.